Keir really loves bagels. We have found some gluten free bagels in the supermarket which are approximately 2 exchanges and Keir has been really enjoying them. The ones we have been buying are Genius plain bagels. However he always wants more and we have to say no. He asked if we could make him low protein bagels and I agreed to give it ago. Here are the results from my first try! Please find the recipe below – please note there was a fair amount of me making this up as I went along so will refine the recipe and will adjust the below when I work it out!
PKU Protein Free Bagel
Per serving= 0 Exchanges.
– 300g Fate low protein all purpose mix
– 6.5g yeast
– 180ml Warm water
– 30ml Vegetable oil
– 30g Brown sugar for bagel
– 10g Brown sugar for boiling bagels
- Preheat the oven to 220 deg C or 200 deg C for fan assisted oven
- In a bowl put 250g Fate low protein all purpose mix.
- In a jug mix 180ml warm water, 30ml oil, 30g brown sugar and 6.5g yeast.
- Make a well in the flour and pour in the contents from the jug, combine by hand until you get a dough and kneed a little. I found at this point I needed to add more flour and put in approx an additional 50g.
- Leaving your dough in a mixing bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for 30 mins to rise.
- While you dough is rising bring a slarge pan to boil and add 10g Brown sugar to it.
- After your dough has risen divide into four and make into 4 flatish spheres. Using the end of a wooden spoon carefully make holes in the centre until they are approx 2-3cm wide.
- Boil your bagels for approx 1 to 2 minutes each and then place them on a baking tray prepared with non stick baking paper.Baked for 25 minutes
I would love to hear any recommendations on how to improve the recipe or make the bagels look better.
Thanks for reading!