We have tried various PKU flat bread recipes to make our low protein version of wraps. I think we finally found the recipe that works really well. This one had the perfect texture as it was flexible enough to roll with fillings inside. We served it with a spread of houmus, grated carrots, cucumber and red pepper sticks.
I used the recipe below but the dough was too runny so I added much more flour (gradually) to get a perfect dough. It was a great dough to work it, very easy to roll out. I can see us making this again with Keir rolling out the dough.
Low Protein Wrap Recipe
200ml warm water
25g of Trex
1/2 tsp baking powder
240g Loprofin Mix (plus some extra for dusting)
2 drops of gravy browning (optional)
- In a mixing bowl place Loprofin Mix and rub Trex into the flour with your finger tips. Add oil, salt, baking powder into the mix.
- In a separate jug, add the gravy browning into the water and mix. Add the water mixture gradually into the flour mix. Beat well with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and dip each piece in Loprofin Mix.
- Roll out each piece between greaseproof-paper until flat.
- Heat 1/2 of oil in pan and fry both sides (prick with a fork to ensure the wrap remains flat).
Use wrap for lunches or fill with spicy vegetable mix for dinner and serve with a side salad. The wraps can be frozen.