We made a chocolate cake for Keir’s birthday this weekend. Everyone enjoyed the cake at the party and couldn’t tell the difference from a ordinary chocolate cake. I picked a recipe from one of Nutricia’s cookery workshops that we attended. It contains exchanges, please double check the exchange value of your ingredients when baking. My cake had 6 exchanges in total (which comes from the cocoa powder) but I divided the cake into 12 equals pieces so each slice contained 1/2 exchange.
Devil's Food Cake
Please note that this cake contains exchanges. It serves 12 and 1 Serving= 0.5g protein
Credit: Chef Derek Clarke from Nutricia
– 125g butter softened
– 125g caster sugar
– 2 tsp Loprofin Egg Replacer
– 200ml Sno-Pro Milk Replacer
– 250g Loprofin Mix
– 25g cocoa powder* ( I used Green & Black’s organics which works out as 6 exchanges)
– 2 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tsp instant espresso powder (I left this out)
– 1 carrot, grated
– 1 small apple, grated
– 1/2 mashed avocado (avocado is now classified as Free)
– 1/2 mashed banana
- Preheat the oven to 170 C
- In a jug, mix the cocoa powder, espresso powder, mashed banana, avocado ad Sno-Pro Milk Replacer. Set to one side.
- In a bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
- Add in the Loprofin Mix, Loprofin Egg Replacer, baking powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda to the butter and sugar mix.
- Gradually add the liquid mix that was set aside and gently combine.
- Finally, add the grated carrot and apple and stir until you have a batter.
- Bake in a 10 inch cake tin, or divide the batter into 12 muffins tins
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake springs back from the sides of the tin. Check the cake after 25 minutes as cooking time will depend on your oven.
*Check the protein content in the food label
One thought on “PKU Chocolate Birthday Cake”
What a fantastic birthday cake you made for Keir, he must have been very pleased. You and Birgitte seem to excell in this birthday cake making..