I came up with this recipe couple of days ago for Keir whilst I was making lamb meatballs and rice for dinner for us. I wanted his meal looked very similar to ours. He is on 9 exchanges a day so we serve him 3 exchanges of protein every meal. In this recipe I served him ‘free’ meatballs and two exchanges of rice. You could just serve it with low protein rice to make the meal with no exchanges.
To make the meatballs I followed “Kate’s Favourite Fate Burger recipe” from the Fate recipe book. I then shaped the mixture into meatballs and cooked as per instructions. I then added them into heated up Jamie Oliver’s pasta sauce from our cupboard.
Low Protein Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
250g Sweet Potatoes, peeled
1 tbsp oil
Salt and pepper to season
Pinch dried thyme
Pinch dried sage
1 tbsp tomato puree
Few drops of suitable gravy browning
100g Fate Low Protein All-Purpose Mix
and little extra for shaping
- Grate the sweet potato and mushrooms. Finely chop the onion. Heat a large frying pan and add the oil and butter. When the butter has melted, add the sweet potato, mushrooms and onion. Stir well. Keep the heat quite high so that any moisture from the vegetables evaporates. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the mixture is softened and beginning to brown.
- Stir in the sage and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Add the tomato puree and few drops of gravy browning, just enough to give a rich brown colour, but not too dark. Stir well.
- Take the pan off the heat, stir in the Fate All Purpose Mix. Make sure the mixture is well blended. Leave to cool slightly.
- As soon as the mixture is cool enough to handle, take a spoonful of the mixture, (about 50-60g) and using a little Fate All Purpose Mix to prevent it from sticking, shape it into meatball. Place onto a plate and leave to cool completely. At this stage they can be frozen. Cook with little oil in a preheated pan.
- Finally mix it into a tomato sauce either prepared at home or shop bought (check if suitable for low protein cooking). Serve with rice.